Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Pondicherry : 21st Feb 2007.

With the basic idea of revisiting Pondicherry and to indulge myself in the historic era of french empire again this year whereas last year I spent a complete one week there. I started back to work on pondicherry trip.

I checked out goair.in and got a ticket for Rs. 0 and only taxes deal, so total I spent was Rs. 2400 for return ticket. It was a better bet.

FlashBack:

Last year it was 14 to 21 February of 2006 week, I spent with my friend Rahul . We got the booking for stay, at Sea Side guest house, a place run by Shree Aurobindo Ashram. It is the ONLY best place to stay and incase your lady luck favors, you may get a sea facing room. That case person cannot think of leaving pondicherry for lifetime. Thease rooms need extremely advance booking. Rate is Rs. 700 (Feb 2006), for an extremely clean, AC room for two. You do have a room service here for basic beverage .

Breakfast,lunch and dinner need to be well informed at reception. Food is of good quality and pure veg. Staff there, is very cooperative, you can obtain a Pondicherry map free of cost from reception.

Bay of Bangal is not more than 100 feet away from this guest house, you can listen the natural music of ocean in your room all the time and at no extra cost. Rules of the house 1) No boozing 2) No smoking 3) No non-veg and 4) closes by 10pm. This guest house is on exact location where it should be. It is at very ideal place.

We visited, invented and discovered so many places for us.

Cut to Present....

This year it was time to use that all information and re-explore pondicherry.

But, but, but........

After booking on line with goair.in from Pune to Chennai , I wrote a mail to Seaside Guest asking for booking . And I got a first shock, no room was available with them. It disturbed me. I called up all possible places run by Ashram, but alas. Not a single room was available with any of the Ashram guest houses. I madly searched on the Internet, but all of the hotels were full. I invested two days calling hotels at Pondicherry but invain.

On third day, my luck shined bright, I got booking at `Pondicherry Executive Inn`. I just called up, got their ICICI account number and transferred the money. It was deal of Rs.1500 per day. I was bit relaxed and bit tensed too. As I was not sure of the room quality.

Finally, on 21st February 2007, I started journey from Erandwane, Pune 411004 India. Recently, the city transport bus (PMT) started a service from Deccan Gymkhana to Airport. I went to Deccan bus stop by auto riksha (Three wheeler public transport) and waited for the bus. Bus came at sharp time 1910hrs, it was very ordinary bus which took 55 mins to reach Airport, cost to pocket was Rs. 40 (Feb 2007).

After checking in luggage at Airport, I started with Packed dinner of Paratha and Chatani. I do not believe in the quality of food outside and that to at public places. Costs are very high at airport for no real good reasone. Flight got announced and took off at sharp time.

Journey was pleasant. At Chennai airport , Pre paid taxi service to Pondicherry is available costing Rs. 1900 (Feb 2007) . I decided to travel by public transport . Outside airport I got auto riksha to Chennai Central bus stand, costing Rs. 200 (Feb 2007) . It was 0100hrs in morning. Distance, from airport to bus stand is 22Kms. My watch showed the temperature of 27 deg cel. I tried registering my cell phone, but found that GPRS was not working, which was an emotional shock to me.

Chennai Bus stand was little bit more cleaner, it is ISO certified. At bus stand, infact the bus was just waiting for me to come on platform 5. I just got in and the bus left for Pondicherry. There was no door to the bus, letting the chilled and moist air to come in. I didn't had any remedy to fight this basic element at such odd hours. It was 23 deg cel. Bus took ECR (East Coast Road) which was very smooth.

I got down at 0445hrs, caught an auto riksha and got down at hotel, at cost of Rs. 40 (Feb 2007) . There was completely silence in the town. I checked in, the hotel was really really a good place. There were two parts in the room, with two individual AC units. Outside unit was having a TV set and sitting arrangement like a guest room and inside was with table & chair, bed, refrigerator and cupboard. Toilet was really in good condition. Hotel had an ethnic feel. Staff was cooperative. I decidedd to take some sleep and to start with the plans at early in the morning .

No comments: